Till a couple of years ago, you would have found your entire family, friends, and business associates on Facebook, but that changed, especially during the pandemic. Instagram today accounts for 41.5% of Meta’s total ad revenue, and by 2026 more than 1.49 billion people will have an Instagram account.
More than a billion people globally use this photo sharing app monthly, proving to be a veritable goldmine for marketers and brands. But the million-dollar question arises, which cross-section of society uses Instagram predominantly?
What demographics use Instagram?
Instagram demographic stats show that even though more than 75% of the people on this second-most downloaded app is between 18-44. But recently, there has been a spike in the number of Boomers using the app; even though they have a minuscule share, it cannot be ignored.
Humans are highly visual creatures and can recall over 2000 images with 90% accuracy. Once brands found the potential of Instagram, they saw the necessity of tapping it for their digital marketing endeavours.
But just pretty photos don't bring recognition or revenue; Instagram demographic stats play an essential role. Brands need to find influencers with the same followers as their target audience; this will help maximize the ROI.
You don’t want to market your anti-aging serum to 18-year-olds interested in sports. You don’t want to market your anti-aging serum to 18-year-olds interested in sports. Find the right niche by studying Instagram demographics. Read on!
To learn how Instagram can help brands in generating leads, read: https://www.getphyllo.com/post/instagram-stories-for-lead-generation
Why are Instagram Demographics Stats of Creators and Users Important?
Demographic data for marketing strategy plays a vital role in identifying the target audience by specific characteristics, wants needs, and desires.
With the right demographics, you can understand,
- The characteristics of people willing to buy your product and services
- Who your brand is appealing to by age, location, gender, job title, income, and other variables
- The most exciting targets and stop spending on the people who are not interested
A study of influencer demographics is also essential to ensure their follower base belongs to a similar audience group you are targeting.
Main segments for consumer demographics
The main segments in consumer demographics are age group, gender, income level, qualification, and occupation. The better you define the target groups, the more likely they will exhibit shared customer behaviors, interests, demands, and desires.
Some important consumer demographic segments are:
- Psychographic segmentation: It relies on subjective characteristics like personality, interests, beliefs, lifestyle, values, priorities, attitudes, and motivation.
- Geographic segmentation: It segments your consumer depending on their geographical location based on country, city, ZIP code, climate, urban/rural setting, etc.
- Behavioral segmentation: It focuses on consumer behavior, purchasing habits, spending patterns, and brand interaction.
- Firmographic segmentation: It considers business-related factors like industry type, location, size, and revenue.
- Market segmentation: It focuses on the market demands of the consumers.
Why is Segmentation Important Based on Instagram Demographics Stats?
Learning the Instagram demographics stats and recognizing the differences between individual customers allows brands to tailor their marketing and sales approach to the demands of varying customer bases.
Understanding user demographics allows brands to create effective marketing campaigns that speak mainly to the individual needs of different customers.
Brands may sell similar products to several customers, but people may like purchasing your product for different reasons. Understanding their motivations for purchase is essential to help them close a deal.
Understanding your customer demographics can help you effectively spend your advertising dollars.
Understanding your customers allows you to provide the appropriate services each customer wants and expects.
There are several benefits to understanding the Instagram demographics stats of users. For example, Baby Boomers have different buying habits than Gen X or Millennials.
By collaborating an influencer who is an expert in your niche and industry, will generate positive results. Suppose you have a restaurant in the U.S. and want creators to promote it, but the influencer you partner with is a travel influencer hailing from the Middle East. Will you get the results? It is good to understand the demographics of your influencer.
25 Instagram demographics stats
In 2022, Instagram successfully uplifted the creator economy to new limits. The platform introduced valuable features to support creators and influencers, enhancing the marketplace functionality like achievements, subscriptions, creator portfolios, and the reels bonus program.
Here a some of the key Instagram demographic stats for 2023:
- Nearly 52.2% male and 47.8% female comprise the audience base. (Hootsuite)47% of American adults prefer using Instagram. (Hootsuite)
- It is the favorite platform of Gen Z, and global internet users between 16-24 years prefer using Instagram over any other social media platform.(Hootsuite)
- 61% of users between 12-17 years use Instagram weekly. (Hootsuite)
- On average, 130 million users click on shopping posts every month.(Digital Scholar)
- It is expected that 35% of platform users will purchase on Instagram in 2023. (Hootsuite)
- 15% of shoppers in the U.S. start their online purchase journey from Instagram searches. (Hootsuite)
- Nearly 83% of consumers use the platform to discover new products or services. (Influencer Marketing Hub)
- 70% of Instagrammers are under 34 years, 7% belong to 13-17 years, 30% between 18-24, 33% in 25-34 years, 16% are between 35-44 years, 8% between 45-54, 4% in 55-64%, and 2% above 65 years. (Social Pilot)
- The 25-34 age group is the largest of the demographics contributing 31.7% of the total Instagrammers. (Social Pilot)
- 87% of Instagram users live outside of the U.S. (Social Pilot)
- The highest number of Instagram users comes from India, nearly 230.5 million, followed by the U.S., 159.75 million, and Brazil, at 119.45 million. (Social Pilot)
- The Asia-Pacific region has the highest number of Instagram users, 893 million, followed by Europe at 338 million and South America at 289 million. (Business of Apps)
- Nearly 62% of Instagram users say they gain interest in a brand after seeing them in the creator's story. (Social Pilot)
- Almost 54% of influencers are Nano influencers, and 33% are micro-influencers on Instagram. (Social Pilot)
- With 1,000 to 5,000 followers, Nano influencers have a 5.6% average engagement rate. (Embed Social)
- 61% of consumers believe in influencer recommendations rather than brand content. (Social Pilot)
- Almost 90% of Instagrammers follow a business profile. (Embed Social)
- The platform has more than 2 billion active monthly users. (Hootsuite)
- Over 150 million people use the platform to communicate directly with brands monthly. (Social Pilot)
- Some of the industry-specific Instagram follower growth stat benchmarks include 0.03% for education, 1.59% for Entertainment and Media, 0.07% for Financial services, 0.88% for Food and beverage, 0.06% for Real Estate, 0.37% for Retail, and 0.33% for Travel, Hospitality, and Leisure. (Hootsuite)
- The potential ad audience on Instagram ads is 849.3 million users. (Social Pilot)
- 61% of the total Instagram advertising audience belongs between 18-34 years, and the percentage of males is higher than females. (Hootsuite)
- About 21% of Gen Z adults in the U.S. are using reels weekly. (Hootsuite)
- The average engagement rate on the business account posts is around 0.54% (Hootsuite)
Learn the importance of measuring audience demographics for your influencer marketing campaign: https://www.getphyllo.com/post/influencer-audience-demographics-meaning-importance-usage-marketing-campaigns-phyllo
How Phyllo works: Get Instagram Demographics Stats
It is essential to understand the demographics of a creator before partnering with them to reach the right audience. However, with fake data available everywhere, it becomes difficult for brands to understand the accurate picture of these creators. However, you can always ask them to provide a screenshot of Instagram insights and get a clear image of their followers' demographics. But with Phyllo, everything becomes easy. How? Let's see.
Phyllo is creating a data bridge between creator platforms and developers. What do you get to know from us?
- Creator's profile data
- Reputation data
- Contact details
- Engagement rate
- Creator income
- Invoices and transactions
Learn how Phyllo integrates with Instagram in our in-depth blog: https://www.getphyllo.com/post/instagram-api-integration-101-for-the-developers-of-the-creator-economy
We provide a single API pipeline to integrate multiple creator platforms and help brands to obtain authenticated data. We manage data normalization, platform partnerships, app approvals, development, and maintenance to help you ease the integration process and pay less.
How Does The Process Work?
- Creator is asked to connect their account to the developer’s app
- It triggers Phyllo SDK. Creators select the platform they need to connect
- They enter their platform credentials and give data consent
- Their account gets connected with Phyllo
- The relevant data is provided from Phyllo to developers to power their use cases via Phyllo APIs
If you are searching for creator profiles, Phyllo offers 50+ filters. Some of them are:
- Follower and content count
- Audience and creator brand affinities
- Audience and creator lookalikes
Now that you selected an influencer, you can look into their profile and reputation metrics, including:
- Follower and subscriber counts
- Average view, likes, comments, and engagement rate
- Top interest, hashtags, mentions, and lookalikes
You can also track the public content items of a selected influencer, including:
- Like, share, and comment counts of media
- Publishing timestamps
- Audio track info and more
This information gives you a better insight into whom the creator is influencing and sees if they belong to your target audience. Finding the right people and implementing the best influencer marketing strategies saves time, effort, and money.
Talk to us to learn more about how Phyllo is helping brands with their influencer marketing strategy!
1. How can I check the Instagram demographics stats of the followers of Influencers?
To check the demographics for the followers of Instagram Influencers, go to the top right corner menu of your profile, click on "Insights," and you will find the demographics under the "Your Audience" tab.
2. What is the legal age to use Instagram?
The minimum age for creating an Instagram account is 13 years. But for children's accounts, it must be mentioned prominently on the bio that a parent maintains the account.